Last minute pattern time! We wanted to get one last post up before the holidays–something quick and simple, perfect for a last minute handmade gift. Or, better yet: a perfect de-stressor for anyone feeling overwhelmed and looking for an easy, meditative project. This Mini Macramé is made using a cinnamon stick (so it smells lovely!) and two basic knots, making it a wonderful project for beginners.
You’ll see in the photos that we’ve actually got the main mini macramé pattern, as well as a variation on it. The second has more emphasis on negative space with the absence of a few square knots, and you’ll see that the diagonal clove hitches on either side aren’t connected until the bottom row. This changes the shape a bit, but has an overall cleaner look. So, go ahead and try them both, and let us know which you like better!
As an Amazon Associate, this post contains links to products that we may receive compensation for at no additional cost to you. View our Disclosure Policy, and feel free to Contact Us if you have any further questions.
- 2mm cotton single twist string, ~240 in. for one mini macramé
- cinnamon stick
- scissors (the pair shown in our photos is included in this lovely set here on Amazon)
- Cut 8 pieces of cord, each 30″ in length. Attach these to the cinnamon stick using a lark’s head knot.
- Tie one row of square knots.
- Tie three more rows of decreasing square knots, until you have just one square knot in the final row.
- Using the leftmost cord as the filler cord, tie a series of diagonal clove hitches to the bottom point. Repeat with the rightmost cord, joining the two in the middle.
- Skip the first 2 cords on the left, and use the 3rd as the next filler cord. Tie another series of diagonal clove hitches from left to center. Repeat on the right side.
- Repeat Step 5 for the next row of clove hitches.
- Trim the fringe, and brush is out if you choose to create a fuller, softer fringe. A pet brush works really well for this, as does a comb or even a fork.
- Repeat Steps 1-2 of the first variant, but without the center square knots.
- Follow the rest of the steps from variant 1, but do not join the rows of diagonal clove hitches until the final row.